Thursday, October 20, 2011

On Fear and Purpose

So I decided that will all of the interest in the country of Uganda right now, it must be time for a blog post! Many of my family and friends have recently expressed concern for my safety because of President Obama's announcement that he is deploying 100 American soldiers to assist the Ugandan Army with the long-standing issue of the LRA (Lords Resistance Army) and their tyrannical and insane leader Joseph Kony. Read more here.

I completely understand the concern, and I very much appreciate your prayers for me and my team as we prepare to leave and while we are in country. But fear is not what has driven me to write this post. Paul tells us in the bible: 


For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands, for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. (2 Timothy 1:6-7 ESV)

I have believed for a long time now that God has specifically brought together my team for a purpose in Uganda. That is why I am writing today. It's all about Him. I believe He put His spirit in my and my team, and I believe that it is not a spirit of fear. Instead, His spirit is of power! love! and even, self-control! I am expecting great things to happen in the country of Uganda. I am so humbled and thankful to have the opportunity to act as the hands and feet of Jesus in that country. In one of my favorite stories in the bible, Mordecai told Esther that she was brought here "for such a time as this."


For if you keep silent at this time, relief and deliverance will rise for the Jews from another place, but you and your father's house will perish. And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this? (Esther 4:14 ESV)

God has been revealing to me and to my team, also, that He is bringing us together purposefully to accomplish His will. I cannot say whether we will face danger or not. Or whether that danger will come from war, soldiers, villagers, witchcraft, etc. But what I can say is that I serve a God who has already won the battle, a God who loves the people of Uganda, and who loves each and every one of you who are reading this blog. I believe him when He says


I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world. (John 16:33 ESV)

I will not fear. I will trust Him. In His infinite wisdom and providence, He will meet us when and where we have need. Your prayers are always welcome, and know that I am praying for you, also.

With gladness,

Somer

1 comment:

  1. Uganda holds a special place in my heart. May the Lord of all creation be with you! Godspeed, stranger. You'll be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete