Wednesday, April 4, 2012

One of those days...

So today I was struggling trying to think about what to write. I encourage you, if you are interested in reading about my day to day activities, to check out my other blog which is posted on my team's blog site at http://uganda.adventures.org. I managed to write out a post about visiting the hospital this Monday. But when thinking about what to write on this page I kept coming up blank. Then I remembered that I had yet to check and see if there was an update to my favorite blog written by Katie Davis. I opened up her website and my spirit was instantly lifted as I began to read her words. If you've not heard of Katie Davis and the beautiful story of our Savior that He is telling through her life, check out her blog http://kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com or her book Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis. She is a girl, my age (22), living in Uganda. She has adopted 13 Ugandan girls. Did I mention that she is my age?

Don't get me wrong. There are many beautiful stories I could tell you of life in Uganda. There are words I could share with you from our Savior. Words He has been sharing with me on this journey. But sometimes no matter how good the days are, or how busy, or how enthralling, sometimes you just have a day where you feel disconnected. Today was one of those days. My focus is off. My energy is down, and on top of that this is the only day that I have to communicate back home. Communicating back home from Uganda is an exhausting process in itself with frequent power outages, internet failures, and the fact that I'm communicating with the very people I miss the most.

Enter Katie's blog. Those of you who know me, know that her story has been a huge influence in my life. Let's face it, part of the reason that I am in Africa and not Thailand right now is because a dear friend of mine introduced me to her blog back in August of last year. Today, I don't have much to say but I'd like to share some encouragement with you. These words are not mine, they are Katie's, and I think if you asked her, she would tell you the same thing, "these words are not my own." Today, these words spoke to me and I hope that they encourage you.

"I know that I can find joy here, too. Because God is in the days that go as planned. And God is in the days that don’t.

Today there was breath in the chest of a little boy who I thought may die in the night. Today there were hugs and picked flowers and sweet notes from kiddos who knew mama was tired. There were big sisters who helped little sisters and a biggest sister who organized the house cleaning. There were 130 painted toenails, all colors. There were boxes of cookies sent from friends in the states and medicine and food sent over from friends around the corner. There were hands to help and even more that offered to help, and there were voices lifted in prayer.


And today, there was a Savior who paid my ransom with His blood, and it was enough.
It is always enough. Could I just remember? Could I just remember whose I am? Could I just remember the price He paid to live in me? And if Christ is in me, then can’t I find Him in all of these things too - the measles and the vomit, the flowers and the forgiveness and the toenails? Knowing that in all circumstances He is enough and He is working to draw me closer to Him, I praise Him for the good in the hardest of days.
Jesus, you are enough.


You were enough to atone for this ugly sin that wanted to separate. You are enough to fill in the gaps, fill all my holes, make up my lack. My flesh screams, “I can’t go on, I don’t have enough! Not enough strength, not enough patience, not enough…” And I wouldn’t, but I have You. And in You, I have enough and more than enough, Father of abundance, Giver of endless blessings.


I can pour out because I know you fill up. I drink from a well that never runs dry. You are abundantly available to me, ever drawing me closer. You call me into communion with you and I am filled with your life over flowing even in the driest, hardest of seasons. You exchange my lack for your abundance, Christ in me the only hope of glory. Christ in me is enough. Christ with me is enough. Christ on that cross and risen for me is enough. You are enough, Jesus.


And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen His GLORY, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth. From His fullness, we have all received grace upon grace. John 1:14,16
"

--I do not own these words. They were written by Katie Davis at http://kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com.

This image, however, is mine. I took it on the long ride coming home from Kenya. Isn't God amazing?! I can't even describe the beauty we saw that day. This photo simply doesn't do it justice!

No comments:

Post a Comment