Wednesday, February 8, 2012

We've Got it Down to an Art

We've got it down to and ART!

Think about it! We have lights, sound, great talent, knowledge of Christianity, knowledge of technical equipment, knowledge of music, knowledge of ministry, knowledge of accounting, etc. We also have vacation days in our jobs. We have (most of us) a desire to make a difference. Why don't we skip that trip to Disney World, or that  trip to the beach, and instead follow the command of Christ and share the knowledge God has given us with the people around the world who have the desire to reach the lost, who often work harder than we do to accomplish His kingdom on earth.

God has not asked us to feed the hungry, clothe and shelter the poor, care for the orphan and the widow, and reach all nations. He has not asked. He has commanded us. Matthew 28:18-20
And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, "All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you, and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world."

I know that some of you feel that you are not called to missions, or you might say that is just not something I could do - I'm not able to live in those conditions - I'm not cut out for that work - I'm afraid - It's dangerous - Others will go, and maybe I'll bless them. To the first statement, my reply is simple. Go and read Matt. 28 again. ALL are called to missions. It won't look the same for everyone, but all are called.

To the others, those feelings are NOT of God. Christ didn't die so that you could be fearful, or discouraged, or so you could speak death (and those are words of death) into your life. But Christ died so that we might live, that we would not have a spirit of fear, but of power and love, and a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7).

Imagine what you could bring to a desperate community in even one week's time of service. Let me give you an idea...Here in Lira, Victory Outreach serves multiple districts of Uganda. There is a media team. - I know two people perfect to teach them new things and could in one week of volunteering, they could turn their outreach potential upside down. - There are 7 primary schools and one high school. - I know more teachers than I could count who could bring supplies, who could instruct teachers in proven methods, and who would go home a better teacher, better able to transform their classrooms with their stories. - There is an agricultural program. - I know farmers. And just so you know, farming could help bring many people and communities our of poverty and starvation. - There are child development programs and Compassion International sponsored children. There are many pastors, young pastors, and future leaders. There are accountants and businessmen who are serving the church, various ministries, and the community. There are clinics and hospitals being built, and young people eager to be nurses and doctors.

If you think this work is hard, think again! You do those jobs EVERYDAY! And your "everyday used" knowledge and skill set could bless and change the world. Still didn't see something that you could do? What this world needs more than knowledge is the love of Christ. Can you hold an orphan? Can you encourage a widow? Can you sing and dance with children? Can you clean a room? Doing these things will show God's love to a world desperate for, not money, not food, not knowledge, but something that will be with them through every circumstance. Something that will comfort and love them. That something is Jesus Christ. He works and loves through His body. We are His body. If we say no, or I'm scared, unable, not interested, afraid of failure, then His body is crippled.

Speak life over yourself. And ask God to reveal to you what your service looks like through His eyes. I promise it won't look scary, but instead, beautiful! Maybe it will look like one week, maybe 4 months, 6 months, 2 years,...I'm not sure. But I am sure He has a plan for your life. Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord.

Don't miss this. I'm praying for you! I pray that the next time you save up to book a vacation that a location in need of Christ will be the first one to enter your mind. I love you. Christ loves you.

From Uganda,

Somer

The mzungu(me) with Ruth, Oliver, and Lucky! Making faces at Happy who took the photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment