Monday, January 14, 2013

Remember Your Creator

The words of Eccelsiastes 12 have recently made a rather lasting impression on me. They begin with instruction, and continue into an inevitable and grim picture of our last moments. I've had the wonderful privilege of working with the youth at my church on Sundays for the past few months and I'd wager that may be the reason this passage jumped out at me.

Remember also your Creator in the days of your youth, before the evil days come and the years draw near of which you will say, "I have no pleasure in them"... (Eccl 12:1)

This is my heart for our youth,
this is my heart for our young adults,
this is my heart...

It reminds me of a passage in Psalms that Lord recently introduced me to. It's funny how He does that sometimes. In this particular instance I think He was calling me out on my commitment to Him. You see I'm not of the opinion that the God of the universe desires for his creation to show up and fill a pew on Sundays, attend one, maybe two bible studies throughout the week, and consider that preparation enough for an address on the streets of gold. Take David for instance, the psalmist wrote,

"when I remember you upon my bed, and meditate on you in the watches of the night;" (Psalm 63:6)

I don't know about you, but the image I see here is of a lover thinking of his love as he begins to drift off to sleep. And I'd bet that love is the first thing on his mind when he wakes. Kind of puts some perspective on that simple "now I lay me down to sleep" prayer doesn't it?

My point:

What if we learned in our youth, the importance of knowing, really knowing, our Creator "before the silver cord is snapped, ...and the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it"? (Eccl 12:6-7) What if we obeyed the command of Ecclesiastes 12:13, "fear God and obey his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man"?

What do you think this should look like in your life? Do you know your Creator in the intimate way David spoke of in his Psalm?

1 comment:

  1. I long to see a generation that does exactly that of Ecclesiastes 12:13 with emphasis on the obeying of His commands. Thanks for the encouragement of having an intimate relationship with Our Creator!

    ReplyDelete